$995 – 4-bits per cell (QLC) technology and the push for 128+ layers in 3D NAND flash continue to drive down the cost per gigabyte of solid-state storage. How do these developments affect the performance and reliability of storage systems? What is different about the NAND manufacturers’ technologies? How does 3D XPoint™ affect the flash market?
If you are new to flash memory and want to get the most out of FMS, this seminar will get you up-to-speed quickly with the terms and concepts used in the industry. If you are an experienced storage professional, but are curious about the inner workings of flash and how they affect system design, this introduction will quickly give you the fundamentals of the critical aspects of flash.
The challenges and opportunities presented by increased storage density in 3D (or “vertical”) NAND flash are significant. A clear understanding of the structure and function of flash cells enables designers to get the most out of their systems. How is the changing role of the FTL (flash translation layer) in data center appliances changing how 3D NAND is being used, tested, and optimized? If more of the native NAND performance is exposed, what do you do with it? What can you expect to encounter when using 3D NAND in extreme environments like automotive, industrial, and IoT? How does the trend toward persistent memory affect flash usage? What are the consequences of the billions of dollars China is investing in 3D NAND manufacturing?
This seminar is designed for engineers, managers, and executives who must make immediate decisions on implementing or optimizing 3D flash technology. Reliable, unbiased information is critical for making the right decisions! So don’t proceed (and spend a lot of development money) without a clear understanding of the fundamentals, opportunities, and challenges of this critical technology! This seminar is presented by KnowledgeTek, the world’s leading data storage technology training company. Suggested prerequisites include a technical background and an
interest in 3D technology. The class does not assume detailed engineering knowledge of flash memory or semiconductor processing.
1. The Fundamentals of 3D NAND
• 3D: What it is and what it isn’t
• Moore’s law ended for 2D NAND flash
• Charge trap flash cells
• Roadmaps for 3D NAND
• The device determines the system
2. Competing Technologies and Architectures for 3D Flash
• Vertical transistor designs
• 3D Array architectures
• Accessing data
• SLC to TLC and QLC in 3D
• Comparison to MRAM, ReRAM, and other nonvolatile memories
3. Process, Design, and Test Challenges
• Etch and deposition vs. lithography
• Logical-to-physical translation in 3D
• Testing, characterization, and defects
• Controller partitioning
4. Next Steps in 3D
• Persistent memory
• Parameter setting with machine learning
• Will emerging NVMs replace flash?
• China’s flash initiatives
• Opportunities with 3D XPoint™ (QuantX™)
• A lesson from The Wrath of Khan